Those considering a career in proofreading or copy-editing might also find this course interesting and informative.
- The correct use of punctuation, including apostrophes, commas, colons, semi-colons, ellipses, hyphens, dashes, exclamation marks, slashes and quotation marks.
- How to lay out your fiction manuscript, e.g. paragraph indentation, section breaks and page breaks.
- How to format character dialogue and avoid common dialogue errors.
- How to style your fiction manuscript, e.g. when to use italics, chapter headings, etc.
- Identifying and correcting common errors editors find in fiction manuscripts, e.g. comma splices, homophones, dangling modifiers, incorrect capitalisation of common nouns/proper nouns, and overuse of clichés, adverbs and the passive voice, etc.
- How to recognise style errors such as tautology and pleonasm.
- How to avoid timeline errors and plot inconsistencies.
Venue: The Millrace Hotel, Bunclody, Co Wexford
Tuition fee: €200
To book: please email firstname.lastname@example.org
What previous course participants had to say
I learned a great deal and feel I have grown in confidence.
I enjoyed the course – to the point, very helpful and I will use the notes for reference.
Fantastic course – really valuable.
Superbly prepared and presented.