I attended my first editorial conference recently when I travelled to London for the SfEP's 25th annual conference. It was a fantastic experience and I learned so much by attending the various lectures, seminars and workshops.
These resources may be useful for freelance editors and proofreaders, independent self-publishing authors, or indeed for any freelancer or small business owner.
- How to leverage your social capital
- Generating engagement and outreach opportunities from LinkedIn Groups
- 5 simple but effective networking tips for freelancers
- Business card etiquette: 7 tips to improve your networking
Website and SEO
- 10 SEO tools and plugins you need in 2014
- Weebly SEO tips for higher and focussed traffic for your website
- Top 5 free website builders in 2014
- Create a website with Weebly
- How to build a website – #1 setup guide.
- Setting up a website with Weebly (video tutorial)
- Setting up a website with WordPress (video tutorial)
- Setting up a website with Squarespace (video tutorial)
- Why WordPress?
- About.me is a free service that lets you create a one-page website all about you/your business
- Add This: free sharing-plugin tool for your website
Social Media (general)
- A beginner’s social media guide for small businesses
- Roundup: Using social media and the web to enhance your editorial profile
- Reciprocity and social media
- Social media etiquette for business: 25 do’s & don’ts
- When is the best time to post on social media?
- The complete social media cover photo guide
- Why your social media profile picture/avatar is so important. 7 things to consider
- Enhancing your editorial profile: customize your Twitter page
- Twitter etiquette 101
- 10 tips for Twitter success in publishing
- Twitter for business
- Tracking and understanding your Twitter metrics
- How to really use Twitter to find more freelance work
- Bitly: a URL shortening service to get the most out of your 140 character limit on Twitter
- 12 Twitter marketing tips from the pros
- Twitter chats 101: a step-by-step guide to hosting or joining a Twitter chat
- How freelancers should create LinkedIn profiles
- How to set up your LinkedIn profile: a freelancer’s guide
- The ultimate guide to a perfect LinkedIn profile
- The ultimate guide to LinkedIn marketing
- Advanced LinkedIn techniques for getting more clients
- Online portfolios for editors, part 5: your portfolio on LinkedIn
- Are you making these 10 common LinkedIn mistakes?
- Seven ways to make your LinkedIn profile more appealing to editorial project managers
- 10 ways to build your business with a blog
- 10 ways to liberate your blog writing
- 12 tips for a more successful business blog
- 20 content marketing tips to boost traffic, engagement and sales
- Is blogging more difficult than you thought? 25 ways to make blogging easier
- How to set up a WordPress blog 1: the basics
- How to start a blog: a step-by-step guide
Planning and Measuring
- Crowning the Customer, by Fergal Quinn. Published by The O’Brien Press
- Marketing Your Editing & Proofreading Business. Being interesting and discoverable, by Louise Harnby. Published by Louise Harnby in association with The Publishing Training Centre
- Small Business Marketing in a Week, by John Sealey. Published by Teach Yourself
- Socialnomics. How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business, by Erik Qualman. Published by John Wiley & Sons
- Working the Cloud. The Ultimate Guide to Making the Internet Work for You & Your Business, by Kate Russell. Published by Crimson Publishing
Spelling styles are as per the original articles, hence the inconsistency between the styling of numbers, the use of both Google+ and Google Plus, etc.
5 marketing tips for the freelance editor or proofreader