I attended my first editorial conference recently when I travelled to London for the SfEP's 25th annual conference. It was a fantastic experience and I learned so much by attending the various lectures, seminars and workshops.
These resources may be useful for freelance editors and proofreaders, independent self-publishing authors, or indeed for any freelancer or small business owner.
- Top 10 tools to help you market yourself online as a freelancer.
- Marketing rules and principles for freelancers.
- Seven marketing tips for small business.
- 25 low cost marketing ideas for your business.
- List of marketing resources from The Proofreader’s Parlour.
- How to leverage your social capital.
- Generating engagement and outreach opportunities from LinkedIn Groups.
- 5 simple but effective networking tips for freelancers.
- Business card etiquette: 7 tips to improve your networking.
Website and SEO
- 10 SEO tools and plugins you need in 2014.
- Weebly SEO tips for higher and focussed traffic for your website.
- Top 5 free website builders in 2014.
- Create a website with Weebly.
- How to build a website – #1 setup guide.
- Setting up a website with Weebly (video tutorial).
- Setting up a website with WordPress (video tutorial).
- Setting up a website with Squarespace (video tutorial).
- Why WordPress?
- About.me is a free service that lets you create a one-page website all about you/your business.
- Add This: free sharing-plugin tool for your website.
Social Media (general)
- A beginner’s social media guide for small businesses.
- Roundup: Using social media and the web to enhance your editorial profile.
- Reciprocity and social media.
- Social media etiquette for business: 25 do’s & don’ts.
- When is the best time to post on social media?
- The complete social media cover photo guide.
- Why your social media profile picture/avatar is so important. 7 things to consider.
- Enhancing your editorial profile: customize your Twitter page.
- Twitter etiquette 101.
- 10 tips for Twitter success in publishing.
- Twitter for business.
- Tracking and understanding your Twitter metrics.
- How to really use Twitter to find more freelance work.
- Bitly: a URL shortening service to get the most out of your 140 character limit on Twitter.
- 12 Twitter marketing tips from the pros.
- Twitter chats 101: a step-by-step guide to hosting or joining a Twitter chat.
- 5 steps to market your business page on Facebook.
- 5 content tips for your Facebook business page.
- How often should you post to Facebook?
- Closing the Facebook.
- Freelancers, is Facebook right for you?
- How freelancers should create LinkedIn profiles.
- How to set up your LinkedIn profile: a freelancer’s guide.
- The ultimate guide to a perfect LinkedIn profile.
- The ultimate guide to LinkedIn marketing.
- Advanced LinkedIn techniques for getting more clients.
- Online portfolios for editors, part 5: your portfolio on LinkedIn.
- Are you making these 10 common LinkedIn mistakes?
- Seven ways to make your LinkedIn profile more appealing to editorial project managers.
- Business blogging: 5 sites for starting in 5 minutes or less.
- 10 ways to build your business with a blog.
- 10 ways to liberate your blog writing.
- 12 tips for a more successful business blog.
- 20 content marketing tips to boost traffic, engagement and sales.
- Is blogging more difficult than you thought? 25 ways to make blogging easier.
- How to set up a WordPress blog 1: the basics.
- How to start a blog: a step-by-step guide.
Planning and Measuring
- Crowning the Customer, by Fergal Quinn. Published by The O’Brien Press.
- Marketing Your Editing & Proofreading Business. Being interesting and discoverable, by Louise Harnby. Published by Louise Harnby in association with The Publishing Training Centre.
- Small Business Marketing in a Week, by John Sealey. Published by Teach Yourself.
- Socialnomics. How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business, by Erik Qualman. Published by John Wiley & Sons.
- Working the Cloud. The Ultimate Guide to Making the Internet Work for You & Your Business, by Kate Russell. Published by Crimson Publishing.
Spelling styles are as per the original articles, hence the inconsistency between the styling of numbers, the use of both Google+ and Google Plus, etc.
5 marketing tips for the freelance editor or proofreader